Re: Task Switcher Mockup

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Mehdi Fattahi <mah.fat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My idea is that a "Tasks" button should be added to the launcher. When
> clicked, it shows a bubble containing thumbnail previews of open windows.
> The behavior is like "scale" but inside the bubble, thus no distraction and
> no loss of focus and no desktop flicker.
>  The tasks button can be configured to show either live previews of windows
> or simply icons. Moreover, for minimized windows it will show desaturated
> thumbnails or icons.
> Please see the attachment.

Have you seen my mail titled
"Ideas for Unity 2.0 (no global menu, no panel, improved info area...)"?

There I've proposed an idea very similar to yours under "2)" with the
difference that there's such a  "bubble" per running application and
not one for all windows. I think your task bubble will become too
overcrowded once you have more than a few windows open.

Good point about giving a different visual representation for
minimized windows, forgot to add that.

If you can't see my mail (it's not in the archive yet) let me know and
I'll forward it.

About the minimize feature also see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/733349
I think there should be an "hide application" feature in the context
menu of the launcher icon and a "minimize window" feature in such a
popup bubble.