focus follows mouse problem

I have focus follows mouse enabled, and if there are any windows
open, I can't do things to files on the desktop because the global
menu retains the focus of the last window (if i understand what is
going on correctly).

Is there a fix for this?

An example would be I try to rename a file on the desktop with F2,
but just end up renaming a file in the file manager window that
happens to be open.  If i go to a workspace with nothing it, it is
OK.

I can right click and get to rename, but any keystrokes to type in
the name go to the other window.

I just switched to 11.04, and this is the 1st time i have used
unity or compiz, so it's very possible i am missing something.

Follow ups