The global menu feature active in xfce - is this possible ?

Hello,

This is a partially off-topic post.   I know that this list is mainly
for discussing
design ideas ,  but I am hoping that here there are people who know more
about the unity implementation and perhaps could confirm my suspicion.

Here is my actual  (offtopic) problem :

I am currently using either gnome or xfce.  I have recently unistalled the unity
packages  (and installed kde).

When I start the xfce session  ,  all of the gtk-based applications
are missing
their menu !     The netbeans is not affected  (it is using java swing
 and does its
own drawing)  ,  and also qt applications like  k3b  are ok  .

The applications are normal when starting the gnome session (Ubuntu classic).

My first guess is that the "global menu" feature somehow gets activated when
the current desktop is xfce .   So it's not drawn inside the app
window.  But xfce
is obviously not supporting the top unity panel, so the menu is lost .

Is something like this possible  ?
If so , is there something I can try for fixing the problem ?

----------------

I would like to say here that there is a serious need for customizing
the Unity features.
Sorry to say this, but the current unity options in System
Configuration is a joke .

I don't understand why the customizability of Unity is neglected  , unless it's
intentional and the developers/designers are trying too hard to push
their vision .

- the user should be allowed to enable/disable the global menu
- the user should be allowed to enable/disable the autohiding of the global menu

Tweaking this feature by setting some obscure env variable is an extremely ugly
hack  ...

Just an example :  the recently discussed  issue  "global menu not
suitable on very
large screens"  would a smaller concern if it were possible to easily
disable the feature :
if someone finds the global menu uncomfortable it's much easier to simply
disable it  than discuss about it on mailing lists .   There is no
need to change the
default settings if the user has the possibility to easily configure
them to match
his own needs and preferences.

Best regards,
Adrian M