Re: Unity2D -- wow! (And hidden window buttons)

> My assumption is that if people are easily confused, then reducing the
> number
> of buttons and menus would reduce the chance of confusion. It also makes it
> much more comfortable to work with maximized windows, which is -- as you
> also point out -- becoming common, specially for less experienced users.

Reducing buttons is one thing, ***hidding them*** is another very distinct
thing. It's not the same. Like the current hidden menus. The first time I
saw that, I searched why was that change done. And the reason I found was
something like: "the change was done because we want new app designers to
keep the UI simple" (elementary-styled). And there was a comment that I
liked: "hide things is not the way to simplify an interface". Why not? When
in GNOME 3 the maximize and minimize buttons were eliminated, there was a
*simplification*. Hidding things is not a way for simplifying an UI. Well,
you don't show the element, the interface *looks* simple, but the complexity
added to having to learn about the interface makes it more complex,
actually.

Hide all that is not my application is something called "fullscreen" that a
lot of applications have. By definition, to maximize a window is not going
fullscreen.

Any way, configuration options are needed. I personally don't like that
buttons and menus are hidden. And I see that some people like hidden buttons
and menus. And if I have to install Ubuntu for someone new to Linux, I would
like all the hidden items to be shown, because current state, as I said
before, is too confusive. Also think on touch devices. I have seen some of
this devices in YouTube using Ubuntu 10.10 for netbooks, because of menus
are hidden in 11.04 and in 11.10. It's not possible to mouse over in a
tablet computer.

I think before someone makes changes like this, usability tests have to be
performed. Before, not after.

And I also think that Unity shell has to be as simple as possible for the
end user. Unfortunately we can not force to all the users to read a manual
before using an interface, except when the user is totally new to computers.

I'm also worried about netbooks. I don't remember if the current behavior
maximizes all windows. In a desktop computer, when a window is not
maximized, the window controls are shown, and when you click "maximize", the
controls hide. At least you have an idea where the controls are (but really,
I'm assuming too much when I say this). If all windows are maximized by
default, you simply have no idea of where the buttons are.