Re: Software center icon needs designers minds, and new humanity desktop methafor.

2011/9/7 Ian Santopietro <isantop@xxxxxxxxx>:
> The point I'm making is everyone didn't know how to use a smartphone when
> they got their first smartphone. They still picked up the concept just fine.
> I don't think we should expect anything less from ubuntu users.

Then put the image of a guitar because "USC rocks". They'll find out
it's a software center once they click on it and learn what it is for.
Sorry for being sarcastic, but the entire point of using icons is to
provide a visual hint about what's in there.
For smartphone user demographics, the shopping bag probably makes
sense, since the owner of the smartphone got it from a store and most
likely took it home in a shopping bag.
Saying that "everyone didn't know how to use a smartphone when they
got their first" is pretty obvious, but it's also the reason why
design has to facilitate the understanding of UI and meaning of icons.
And I don't think saying "it worked pretty well for them" is a
thoughtful design decision.
The question here is: is our audience the same of smartphones to apply
the same metaphor? I don't think so.