Re: Ubuntu = Human-Centered OS?

Hi there,

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 16:58, Randall Ross <randall@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here is the start of a new spec: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/**CommunityLens<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityLens>
>
> We need to begin to use computer mediation to re-connect real people who
> really matter to us. I hope we can breathe new life into this idea and make
> it happen. Ubuntu's chance to really differentiate is staring us in the
> face.

the ideas you write up in the CommunityLens spec are interesting, an Ubuntu
Community implemented in a lens is definitely something to think about.
OTOH i don't quite see the low-hanging-fruit potential behind this. The
"Ubuntu Community" approach would seem too nerdy or geeky to an ordinary
user IMO, that's why i didn't consider it yet.

What people want is something like a phonebook-Lense, Symbian, Android,
WebOS etc all have very easy to use and touch-friendly solutions to this,
but our Desktop OS is lacking such a simple PIM to find a person in my
contacts and share or connect with that person through simple human
gestures. We already have real communities, and we want to connect with them
in an inexpensive and comfortable way. Personal computers help us solve this
problem, since they have microphones, cameras, HIDs and all sorts of
flatrate-enabled ways to connect to others.

The People Lens was already implemented, i don't know if the code was too
hackish or if the implementation needs to be adapted to the new Lenses API
before it can be included in main, but what i know is that it was a great
step towards brining non-nerdy human communication and sharing to the Ubuntu
Unity Desktop.