Re: Ubuntu = Human-Centered OS?

A while ago, I wrote a "WeMenu" spec that touched on this theme. Simply stated: Our desktop should reflect our ethos in an obvious way. Back when the spec was written, some mighty developers were interested in starting an implementation, but alas, Unity came along and required a ton of development effort. Now that we have Unity perhaps it is time to revisit.

In short, every OS seems to want to do the same thing (yes, even the free ones): Once a human has booted up and logged in they are whisked away to the farthest reaches of the web, or to a "large number company in Mountain View" to view ads and to shop. This is inconsistent with connecting with real humans in places where you can actually meet them and share. (i.e. your neighbourhood, town, city.)

Here is the start of a new spec: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityLens

We need to begin to use computer mediation to re-connect real people who really matter to us. I hope we can breathe new life into this idea and make it happen. Ubuntu's chance to really differentiate is staring us in the face.

Lest one thinks I'm a lone voice in this forest, please check out what Scott Heiferman Co-Founder & CEO of Meetup has to say on the topic of building community: http://meetupblog.meetup.com/2011/09/911-us.html

"Could we use the internet to get off the internet -- and grow local communities?" We sure can!

Cheers,
Randall Ross
Buzz Generator for:
Ubuntu Vancouver LoCo