Re: RFC: How to handle wine apps in Unity?

On 10/04/2011 12:13 PM, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 07:35 PM, Alex Launi wrote:
>> It's probably worth while to CC some wine developers on this. It may
>> be good to work this out with them, because if there's no current way-
>> we can work one out.
>
> We have a member of the Ubuntu Wine Team chiming in on the bug. But it
> may be a god idea to take it up directly with upstream.

Just to head this discussion off at the tip:

I _am_ the Ubuntu Wine team
Upstream is not interested in breakages caused by us that only affect us

In short, we as a project made this mess, and I need to clean it up.

I'll try and bang out a Wine lens prototype for UDS.  As noted before,
it would be ideal if Wine apps were just like Ubuntu apps (no separate
uninstallers, viewable from software center, went into the traditional
sections rather than off somewhere in Wine land), but this can't be the
case for arbitrary apps downloaded off the internet or installed by CD.

If the user uses a special tool like winetricks to install an app, we
can do something helpful.

If the application developer repackages the app properly (I'll demo one
of these as well), then we can also do something helpful.

Otherwise we're gonna look like we're a different system trying to be
compatible, cause that's what we are.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie