Lots of mockups, but what is the problem you're trying to solve?

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate looking at good mockups. But can someone explain in a few words what the problem is?

As I see it, those 8 buttons on the dash should be replaced. With what? The most used items from each section of the most used _private_ scopes. That is to say, it's ok to display music I have on my disk, but not music from music stores.

What other issues are there? There are a few, but those are not design issues, as far as I can see. I think keyboard shortcuts is _the_ thing to solve. Tab should not switch between lenses. It is very inconsistent with all other GUIs I've ever used, or at least that I can remember. Ctrl+tab should be used for that and ctrl+shift+tab to switch in the opposite direction. Tab should be used to switch from the search field to the sections and between them. Alt+num/char (1 to m) should be used as direct accessor for items. I'm so tired at seeing these icons and not be able to access them. I mean, I can run wesnoth about as quickly as I can decide to play. In the lenses, I spend lots of time just accessing things. It's annoying.

Visually, and otherwise technically, I really like the current way the lenses look and feels. If it was up to me, I wouldn't change much. But it isn't, so don't worry :)

Jo-Erlend Schinstad

Follow ups