Re: Lots of mockups, but what is the problem you're trying to solve?

I didn't mean to be offensive or make claims. But if you don't even read what people have to say, don't ask why users are submitting mockups for Unity, and themes for GNOME Shell.

My few short points:
- Allow Unity to be extended in Python, C#, Vala, etc. You'll attract a lot more programmers. Extensions is the key to success of Firefox. EVERY mockup could be done by writing an extension (instead of discussing if it's good or not). - Make Dash themeable. This will satisfy your needs (the design) and users needs (desktop). If someone won't like the looks of Dash, he'll simply install/make a different theme instead of sending mockups. For example theme could include labels underneath lense icons. This could be far more descriptive. - Allow people to customize Unity. A lot of people simply don't like the "design" and they're moving away from Ubuntu (like me). I use my desktop for professional work, not Facebook. Newest Ubuntu release is "glossy", not productive (previous releases were of course opposite). - If you think what needs to be located in configuration tool, look at Launchpad. ~1% of users will file bugs against the system they're using. So if you see more than 100 people commenting on a bug, this (statistically) affects a number of your users. This simply can't be closed as WONTFIX. It needs to be fixed, or if this is a design change request, released as an option for Unity.

I realize that this won't be done for Precise Pangolin, but I think this is the way to go. I didn't like GNOME Shell's blacky outfit, but I've installed a different theme and right now I love it. You can't satisfy everyone's needs. But you need to remember that a big number of your users are technical users. These are the people that are recommending Ubuntu to normal, non-technical users. I hope this finally will be taken as constructive criticism, not ranting, fighting or anything else.

These are my suggestions where to move on. If you're asking what to do with current design, I will tell you to drop it completely. Other user will tell to drop some parts of it. Key to whole issue is ability to configure and theme Unity.