Re: Lots of mockups, but what is the problem you're trying to solve?

On 14 November 2011 08:55, Chad M. Germann <cgermann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The problem is were seeing lots of Pretty stuff but Core issues are not
> being addressed
>
> Issue 1: To the end user the dash is first and foremost a programs menu

I disagree with that, what do you base this on? I use the dash for two
things, to launch a program or to open a file (document, image, etc). So
saying that it is primarily a programs menu is just your point of view and
I presume a reflection of how you use it.

I would say that the

> Issue 2: The dash is trying to display too much information in to small of
> a space.

Agree with this.

> Lets be honest here to find a Spasific application in the current dash you
> have to click 5 times
>
> Click one Expand dash,  click two Applications Lens , Click 3 Filter
> results , Click 4 Application Category and click 5 expand results.

Hmm. Depends on the situation. I generally use the search option first, and
I tend not to use the mouse in such a situation. This means it's only one
key to activate the dash and then I start typing. I find this easier than
trying to use the applications category filter which can be inaccurate
because it presumes you know what the correct category is for the
application your searching for.

> The dash needs to be designed to eliminate Clicks 2,3 and 5  first by
> addressing issue 1 and secondly removeing "Apps available for download" as
> this is redundant with the software enter, and "most frequently used" as
> this is pointless because Users are going to use there most commonly use
> Applications to the launcher.

Agree with removing "Apps available for download". Instead of showing most
commonly used applications I think it should show most recently used
programs.

> Lets Concentrate on usability first. and make it pretty later.

Agree with this.

Personally for my use I would rather the dash, by default, show both the
most recently used programs and the most recently opened files.
Unfortunately there is a bit of disconnect as files opened via vi, etc, are
not reflected in the most recently opened files. Understandable, but it can
be annoying.