Re: Notifications in unity

>It takes about ten seconds to explain that all kinds of messages is
    collected in the message menu and that the icon changes color when
    there is a change in status. Once you know this, the system is much
    easier, more efficient and comfortable to use than if you would have
    ten different icons acting in different ways, like we had before.

and who will do the explanation ? you ?

will you be the one holding the hand of every new non technical user ?

will you tell them where their application is hidden ?

I dont like to get into arguments and i think mm does help with the clutter, but you frequently like to counter-argument everything saying things are Fine how they are and new users are the ones that are wrong because they havent rtfm yet, but what are you doing to actually help these people ?

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 19:27:31 +0100
From: joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx
To: ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Notifications in unity

    Den 16. nov. 2011 18:38, skrev Omar B.:

        you are a geek am sure you figure it out in 10 seconds, but i
        dont think you've actually seen new non technical users trying
        to use their applications and then getting hidden in that menu:

        https://github.com/emesene/emesene/issues/829

    So your argument is that Ubuntu users are incapable of learning and
    understanding that the symbol for IM is now an envelope instead of a
    green dot?

    And I actually do know a little bit about new users since I've spent
    about fifteen years helping and teaching people how to use different
    types of technologies. I've worked with elderly, mentally challenged
    and other groups of people with little experience with computers. I
    do this, not only because I like sharing the knowledge I've attained
    by being a geek, but because I like to understand what the
    difficulties are. Once you understand how things work, you can't not
    understand it.

    The problem when people have an agenda, is that they tend to look
    for evidence to support their views, disregard those that doesn't
    and last but not least, project their own opinions onto the people
    they seek to understand. This is why we use the double blind tests,
    for instance. For instance, if you say "Do you think it's intuitive
    to use the email symbol to symbolise other things than email?", most
    people will say no. If you ask "Does it make sense to use an
    envelope to symbolise a message", then the answer might be slightly
    different.

    The bug report you're posting, is completely irrelevant. That is
    about Emesene not understanding that it's already running, which
    obviously it should. But what is it really you're proposing? Should
    there be a constant notification bubble whenever an app is running?
    Because that's what this thread is about, not the symbol for
    applications running in the background.

    It takes about ten seconds to explain that all kinds of messages is
    collected in the message menu and that the icon changes color when
    there is a change in status. Once you know this, the system is much
    easier, more efficient and comfortable to use than if you would have
    ten different icons acting in different ways, like we had before.

    Jo-Erlend Schinstad