Re: More information in indicator menus

Matt Richardson wrote on 18/11/11 21:03:

> Recently Ian Santopietro made some mockups for how Unity might look
> on a phone or a desktop. I love the way his phone indicators look
> and the amount of information they show and I think we should
> migrate them to the desktop. I have done a mockup below to show how
> they would display:
>
> Mockup <http://ubuntuone.com/3pQaNx9TdpPXEZHMIjPgdP>
>
> Clicking an indicator would show the menu as now. Clicking a
> message would load the appropriate window (email, chat etc).
> Clicking the Email/Chat/Broadcast icons would load the appropriate
> program.

That's not what it looks like. They look like tabs.

> Hovering over the Email/Chat/Broadcast icons for 0.3 seconds, see
> later) would display the extra options currently available in the
> menu (i.e. Hovering over the Email button would display options
> for 'Compose new message' and 'Contacts').

It wouldn't be obvious that they did one thing when hovered over, and
a different thing when clicked.

> The 0.3 second delay on hovering is simply to prevent accidental
> switching between categories when moving the mouse to select an
> option under the current category (e.g. The user tries to change
> their status to 'Busy', but as they move their mouse down, they
> pass over the Broadcast icon and the menu changes)

People vary widely in the speed with which they use menus.

> If the person you are chatting with has a profile picture, this
> would be displayed instead of the blank avatar in the menu or the
> chat symbol in the notification area.

What is the rationale for showing people you're chatting with twice?
(Once in the list of messages, and once in the chat tab.)

> Other menu options would behave as now (change status, open chat
> window with selected content)
>
> Any thoughts/issues? Matt

The crosses for clearing individual messages look interesting. Maybe
they could be incorporated into the existing messaging menu.

- --
mpt