Re: Notifications in unity

Conscious User wrote on 30/11/11 20:08:

>>> Which reminds me, shouldn't we stop pretending that synchronous
>>> and asynchronous notifications are similar enough to deserve
>>> being close? They are not, and the current approach causes more
>>> problems than solves.
>>
>> What problems does it cause?
>
> The most obvious one is the ugly gap when no synchronous
> notification is being shown. But I personally think that making
> synchronous and asynchronous informations have the same appearance
> and positioning is a mistake by itself.
>
> One is to notify and is supposed to call the user's attention. The
> other one is to provide feedback and is something that the user
> expects to appear. So much visual similarity for such different
> things is confusing.

Fair enough.

>> What problems does it solve?
>
> I am *supposing* that the idea is concentrating all notifications
> in a single place of the screen, thus simplifying things for the
> user. But this only makes sense if their purpose is similar enough
> to deserve such concentration, and I don't think they are.

I don't remember that there was ever a conscious decision about
whether they should be presented the same way. (That's not covered in
the specification's Rationale, at least.) It was just assumed that
they should be.

> I do admit that the positioning is good when changing the volume
> with the scrollwheel, but that's the only case I can think of.
>
>>> If we must insist that their appearance must be the same, then
>>> the synchronous bubbles should at least be moved to somewhere
>>> else, like the lower corner (they can be there with no
>>> problems, since their size is fixed)
>>
>> In December 2009 I drew up some possible alternative
>> placements.<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD#position>
>
> Ops, sorry. I'm using the old "sync vs. async" terminology when I
> should be using "confirmation vs. notification".
>
> Anyway, is it my impression or the current placement is not even
> considered a valid one according to the specification?

Correct.

> Option 3 is by far my favorite. I remember Option 2 being tested
> and receiving some bad feedback (of questionable value, though, as
> I remember it was available for a very short period of time)
>
> Are there any reasons for not testing option 3?

Only that no-one has implemented it.

>>> But I don't think even the appearance should be the same. In
>>> the attached screenshot you can see what appears when I click
>>> the play button when no player is open (I suppose it's a bug
>>> that notify-osd is not handling this), and in my opinion is
>>> much better.
>>
>> Why do you think it's better?
>>
>> (I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on any of these, but we
>> need to be able to explain *why* something is worse or better.)
>
> It's visually and positionally different enough to not be confused
> with async notifications, and provides a very clear feedback. And
> at least in my opinion the exposition time is short enough to avoid
> intrusiveness (like volume gauges on TVs)

And with a more transparent appearance, it could be even less intrusive.

- --
mpt