Re: Notifications in unity

Em 02-12-2011 01:45, Chow Loong Jin escreveu:
On 02/12/2011 03:45, Dylan McCall wrote:
That this is the case should raise a red flag for everyone who has
paid attention to NotifyOSD. A big part of the design is that an
application can't control where notifications are. It can't treat a
notification bubble as a part of its own user interface — neither as a
dialog box nor a fancy tooltip. Yet indicator-sound is doing that
intentionally, by default! That same thing goes against a big part of
indicators, too: indicator-sound has no place assuming that indicators
are at the top right of the screen or in any way related to
notifications.

I'll assume you're talking about the notification that pops up when you scroll
on the volume icon.

This notification is exactly the same as the notification when you press the
volume buttons on the keyboard. I don't see any part of this behaviour depending
on the position of the notification on the desktop. Whether the volume indicator
appears at the top right, bottom left, or even centre of the screen, this
behaviour will be consistent between your sound indicator and your keyboard
volume buttons and is unlikely to look out of place (or at least any more out of
place than it will if it's in the centre/bottom left anyway).

And that's why my previous statement that "volume scrolling
is the only example where the current bubble positioning
makes sense" is actually wrong. It's not a valid example.

So I really can't think of *any* example supporting the
current positioning scheme.