Re: No more dodge windows in Unity?

On 02/08/2012 01:37 PM, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

It also turns out that users who can work with dodging launchers can also work perfectly well with launchers which always hide when not used.

That is true but is no reason to remove the "dodge" option. I can work with whatever launcher but I love the dodge option (especially the "smart" in MyUnity) and if a user sets it up himself it wouldn't be at all confusing . I bet that can be proven with tests also .

So, based on that, we made the following design choices:

 1. To start with the launcher always visible. This is the least
    surprising starting position. Nothing happens unless the user
    commands it.

Agreed . Most simple.

2.To expose an option of having the launcher hide, or be fixed.
Ok...
3.Not to offer a dodge option, because users who don't want it always there are perfectly capable of using it in plain hiding mode, and users who don't know what 'dodge' means don't have to spend time trying to parse it.

Now here's where things get bad - removing the most efficient option from the list because some people may not understand it . My arguments why this is bad: 1. "Dodge" is not the most confusing of words . And if it is you can always say "smart" . 2. Users know that when they change settings they'll have to understand things , and that one is not at all complex (when you have the name). Otherwise we shouldn't introduce new functionality at all.

That codepath will disappear, we'd prefer to keep the code lean (clean ? ) . In this case we've experimented, learned, and concluded a better approach is available, there's no argument for maintaining code we don't expose to users further.

I hope you're not talking about removing CCSM from the repositories ? There was a discussion about that and since there was no followup after my last post on it , I'd say it is the conclusion . I made a blueprint with the details : https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ccsm-safeties-p

P.S.: C.Cooke posted before I did with the idea of an introduction app . I believe this can happen , so I guess we'll post it in the Brainstorm :) Though it's not a solution to this problem , just a good idea in general

P.S.2: I'm apparently very slow and Jamu posted : Jamu , if you don't like it , just set it to always hide , some people (I) like it .

Petko