Re: speed up the launcher

This is almost certainly caused by "Active Blur".  You can speed this up
significantly by choosing "Static Blur" and make it appear near-instantly
by choosing "No Blur".  These options are in CCSM, under the Unity plug-in.

On older hardware (my experience is a four-year old Dell laptop), Unity was
unusable with both Active and Static Blur options as they caused a 3 to 5
second delay from when you pressed the Super key, to when the Launcher
appears.  Setting this to No-Blur fixed the issue on that laptop, but I did
end up going with Xubuntu as performance was generally just too below par.

Neil.