Re: future of globalmenu

On 15. feb. 2012 14:49, supernova wrote:
I had a look today at this picture
http://cdn.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/new-look-dash-button.jpg
It represents a submenu in the launcher icons. I know it was inserted
to give users more possibilities; anyway looks a bit out of the
concept of the Dash itself: the Dash is going to be so SMART that
guesses your needs. Is there future for the submenu in the picture?

Thanks,
Supernova

Your question seems to be whether there is a use for more than one lens. There is. Yes, for many things, you could collate items from all scopes in the main dash view. (Home) However, that would also mean that all your searches were sent to all the scopes. Now consider a psychologist. He has a register of patients and that is highly secret because even the names of his patients are sensitive. Now, if his patient lens was added as a global lens (accessible in the dash), whenever he searched for a patient, that name would be sent to everyone else. Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Ubuntu One, the nearest cinema... You get the picture. There are many examples of searches that users might not want to publish…

There is certainly a need for private lenses. In any case, having a specialized lens gives you filters and categories that can't be added to the home lens because there would be too many to show. And if you're only interested in one type of data, it doesn't make sense to view all other kinds of data. For instance, when I want to browse my music collection, I press super+m.

As a mouse equivalent of that, you have the quicklists. They're not extremely useful, considering that you can use the icons in the dash itself. It is also possible that a lens doesn't provide an icon, for some reason or other. Perhaps there is a lens that is useful, but not very often, so you don't want it to clutter the main interface. In any case, those quicklists doesn't disturb anything. And since most other launcher entries have quicklists, the Ubuntu button should too, for consistency, if nothing else.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad