Re: creating .desktop files to add launcher entries

On 19. feb. 2012 15:36, Alan Bell wrote:
One common request is to add arbitary applications to the launcher. This is *hard* right now, you have to manually write a

It's not hard, actually. It's quite easy. Install Alacarte. You can then edit your menus to your hearts desire. Adding new items and menus is very easy and they will then appear in the dash. However, what Alacarte doesn't do, is to add static Quicklists (defined in the .desktop file) and other modern stuff. So either Alacarte needs to be modernized or we're going to need a replacement sooner or later.

I would personally want it to be added as an entry in system settings. You'd then have the main pane mostly as it is now, and then add new panes for shell specific features for Unity, Gnome Shell, etc. We do still have the old dialog that appeared when right-clicking the desktop and "Create new launcher" or something, so that could very easily be reused. I don't remember what it's called, though I seem to remember it having something to do with Nautilus. However, I would much prefer to have the menu editor in system settings rather than accessing dialogs by right-clicking desktop widgets. It also makes it more generally useful with regards to other shells. It would immediately work for both Gnome Shell, Unity and Gnome Panel.

I would have nothing against adding a Quicklist entry to the Ubuntu button, though. "Edit launchers" could open the system settings entry for menus. I don't think that'd disrupt anything. I think it would be the only place on the launcher where it would make sense to add such an option. For now, perhaps it could be solved by adding a quicklist entry that launches Alacarte. Since it isn't installed by default, I think maybe that quicklist entry should be added to Alacarte so that after it's installed, the Ubuntu button gets a new quicklist entry. That should be an easy enough job that it could be done in Precise.

There are some unresolved issues with simply using Alacarte as is. As I mentioned before, it provides no way of adding quicklists. Another thing is that if you add another menu to the applications menu, it won't appear as a category in the application lens filters. This means that even though it'll appear in searches and in recent apps, it will not appear if you browse categories in the applications lens. It's really a separate issue, but I mention it because that might cause some confusion. This is probably a bug. The lens should display the "Others" category (non-categorized). I reported that issue here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-lens-applications/+bug/936296

It's a very interesting subject, but I think it's not as easy as where to click in order to show the editor. There are lots of smaller issues to take into account.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad