Re: Lens filters should be displayed by default, and visibility should be remembered forever

On 02/23/2012 01:43 AM, Omar B. wrote:
@Marco

maybe is better to create a new bug and add yours as duplicate. Oh and
if you start your description with "wish" and dont have much argument,
it usually gets added to wishlist...

I assure you that such matters does not affect how bugs are categorised :-)

If you are serious about pursuing this bug I'd rather suggest to update it with the detailed and sensible explanation provided initially by Jo-Erlend.

Cheers,
Mikkel

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:55:20 +0100
From: marco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: eapache@xxxxxxxxx
CC: unity-design@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Unity-design] Lens filters should be displayed by default,
and visibility should be remembered forever

I already created a Launchpad Bug for this.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/921322

regards,
Marco

Am 23.02.2012 00:50, schrieb Evan Huus:

    On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad
    <joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx>>
    wrote:

        In lenses, it is not obvious what the filters do, if anything at
        all. It might be understood as the search phrase being the
        filter and that the results are the Filter results. From my
        testing, I don't think I've seen any user clicking on that text
        in order to display the filters. In order to make it easier for
        new-comers to explore and learn how things work, I propose the
        following;

        Filters should be displayed by default. That way, when the user
        first explores the system, he or she will immediately know what
        the filters do and that there are different filters for
        different lenses. This is important knowledge.

        The header should not only display "Filter results", but should
        also display a smaller "show" or "hide" the same way that
        categories do when you can show more results. This will make it
        more obvious what filters are and how to show or hide them.

        Some users prefer to browse applications by category. Those who
        do, should see the categories by default, and those who don't
        should understand how to hide them. It should not be necessary
        to keep displaying the categories every time you open the
        applications lens. Since the filters are displayed by default,
        if they are hidden, that means the user has understood how to
        show or hide them. Therefore, the visibility of the filters
        should be remembered forever on a per-lens basis. Having to
        repeat the same task over and over for no obvious reason, is
        very annoying. As long as the situation doesn't change, I should
        not be required to perform actions.

        Whether or not the selections in the filters pane should be
        remembered, I don't know. Whereas the filters visibility affects
        your general workflow, the actual filter selection is probably
        more temporary. If I open the calculator once, I'm not sure that
        means Accessories is an important enough category to require me
        to unselect it the next time I want to run something. For these
        reasons, I think I'd probably prefer that filter visibility is
        remembered forever, but the actual filter state be forgotten
        when the dash is closed.

        Thoughts?

        --
        Jo-Erlend Schinstad

    Reasonable, well-justified and simple suggestions.

    +1

    Evan