Re: Lens filters should be displayed by default, and visibility should be remembered forever

@Marco

maybe is better to create a new bug and add yours as duplicate. Oh and if you start your description with "wish" and dont have much argument, it usually gets added to wishlist...

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:55:20 +0100
From: marco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: eapache@xxxxxxxxx
CC: unity-design@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Unity-design] Lens filters should be displayed by default, and visibility should be remembered forever

    I already created a Launchpad Bug for this.

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/921322

    regards,

    Marco

    Am 23.02.2012 00:50, schrieb Evan Huus:

      On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM,
        Jo-Erlend Schinstad <joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx>
        wrote:

          In lenses, it is not obvious what the filters do, if anything
          at all. It might be understood as the search phrase being the
          filter and that the results are the Filter results. From my
          testing, I don't think I've seen any user clicking on that
          text in order to display the filters. In order to make it
          easier for new-comers to explore and learn how things work, I
          propose the following;

          Filters should be displayed by default. That way, when the
          user first explores the system, he or she will immediately
          know what the filters do and that there are different filters
          for different lenses. This is important knowledge.

          The header should not only display "Filter results", but
          should also display a smaller "show" or "hide" the same way
          that categories do when you can show more results. This will
          make it more obvious what filters are and how to show or hide
          them.

          Some users prefer to browse applications by category. Those
          who do, should see the categories by default, and those who
          don't should understand how to hide them. It should not be
          necessary to keep displaying the categories every time you
          open the applications lens. Since the filters are displayed by
          default, if they are hidden, that means the user has
          understood how to show or hide them. Therefore, the visibility
          of the filters should be remembered forever on a per-lens
          basis. Having to repeat the same task over and over for no
          obvious reason, is very annoying. As long as the situation
          doesn't change, I should not be required to perform actions.

          Whether or not the selections in the filters pane should be
          remembered, I don't know. Whereas the filters visibility
          affects your general workflow, the actual filter selection is
          probably more temporary. If I open the calculator once, I'm
          not sure that means Accessories is an important enough
          category to require me to unselect it the next time I want to
          run something. For these reasons, I think I'd probably prefer
          that filter visibility is remembered forever, but the actual
          filter state be forgotten when the dash is closed.

          Thoughts?

              --

              Jo-Erlend Schinstad

          Reasonable, well-justified and simple suggestions.

          +1

          Evan