Re: Ubuntu, Toolkits, Precision, and the Future

The firefox appearance problem will be no more:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/firefox-to-get-new-default-theme-other.html

the differences will be minimum and the ubuntu version on the pic looks very slick to me (much better than now) and nothing to really envy the appearances from the other OSs. But you never know if some of the ubuntu devs decide to start changing the appearance and make it look weird/uglier again...

From: nrundy@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: merkinman@xxxxxxxxxxx; unity-design@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:59:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [Unity-design] Ubuntu, Toolkits, Precision, and the Future

I think the community (at a minimum) needs to ask Mozilla and TDF to change toolkits for their Linux offerings. Frankly, Firefox's appearance/presentation on Linux is rather pathetic. Just take a look at the forums and lots of folks are posting pictures of Firefox on Windows and commenting about how nice it looks while bemoaning the appearance of Firefox on Ubuntu.

Chrome on the other hand looks good on Linux. Here's an article I found about why Chrome went with GTK+: http://www.osnews.com/story/20980/Linux_Version_of_Chrome_To_Use_Gtk_

Basically, Chrome went with GTK+ because it would mean a better Linux product. I have looked at a LOT of performance reviews comparing Firefox and Chrome web browsers. Chrome routinely performs better on Linux than Firefox. And Firefox routinely performs better on Windows. Granted, this probably isn't due solely to the toolkit. But I think it plays a role while also reflecting on the commitment to Linux in the design of the product.

Opening Ubuntu up to Qt I think was good move. It's a widely used toolkit and encouraging app makers to support Ubuntu is important, even at the expense of "seamless appearance." Perhaps in time the integration of Qt won't look so "foreign"?

I think the "toolkit problem" has a solution though and it lies more in getting companies like Mozilla to not be so Windows-centric in their product design and creation. After-all they are gung-ho about open-source and freedom right? Why don't they do more to advance their Linux version of Firefox and Thunderbird? I don't think it's too much to ask.

LibreOffice definitely needs to change toolkits for Linux. Now that OOo is basically no more and LibreOffice is "free" it should embrace Linux and make it's product shine. Changing toolkits I think would go a long way towards accomplishing that.

So I think the solution lies in third-party companies using toolkits that are appropriate for their Linux offering, which presently they are not doing.