Re: Quit vs Close - Quicklists

On 24/02/12 08:15, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
100% nod and agree!

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 05:50, Dylan McCall <dylanmccall@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:dylanmccall@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx>
    <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
    > the right-click menu in the launchers for e.g. Empathy or
    Transmission show
    > an entry labeled "Quit".
    > Clicking this item does not make the applications quit, it
    merely closes
    > their respective main window.
    >
    > Quit and Close should be treated in a distinctive manner, this
    is important
    > to the mental equivalent of holding on to an appliance and
    putting an
    > appliance back into the tool shelf.
    >
    > Does this require further discussion?

    There is some discussion about this in a bug report I filed a while
    ago: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/616447

    It was sent to ayatana-design in January, so I'm sure someone will
    chime in about it in the future. Maybe you'd like to subscribe to that
    bug report :)

    And I agree "Quit" is flawed for two reasons: it doesn't quit, and the
    launcher doesn't really express application state anyway. A running
    application will disappear from the launcher when all its windows are
    closed, at which point you will be unable to "quit" it from the
    launcher. It creates false expectations, and (speaking as someone who
    once sold computers to people) those never end well.

this is exactly the right bug to this discussion.
I was surprised to see that there are actually diverging opinions on this matter..

To me it is clear that quit means i want to leave something.
If a frontend window is closed, this means quit the visual part of something, but if the frontend mentally represents an application with all that it does, then all that it does should also quit if i say so.

If a frontend application interface has not true quit option, it should not diguise a "close" option by calling it "quit". This doesn't only confuse the user, it also fools developers into believing they have already implemented the basic frontend controls correctly.