Re: Some impressions about the current status of Unity

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 00:04, Michael Hall <mhall119@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Dash is more like a search engine than a directory listing.  Think of it
> like Google.  You don't go to Google for a list of websites by category.

In Windows7  (or possibly Vista)   they've added search in the Start
menu  .  It's very handy . But they didn't remove the possibility to
navigate the apps folders.

> What you want is a way to browse installed applications, not find specific
> applications.  This isn't what the Dash is designed for.

This doesn't change the fact that Unity is currently missing a
"component for browsing the applications ".

The first step would be to see that the need for such a feature is at
least acknowledged.

Then it can be discussed whether this can be done by changing the Dash
, or by creating something else.
Dash could obviously co-exist with some new "lens"  that allows a
proper application browsing .

> Perhaps it would be better to discuss providing a different method of
> browsing applications, rather than trying to change the nature of the Dash
> to make it behave like something it isn't.

I did some more research , and it turns out that there are already
some unofficial solutions :
cardapio ,    clasicmenu-indicator ,    bliss .

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/use-classic-menu-in-unity-classicmenu.html
http://iloveubuntu.net/unity-bliss-lens-introduces-dash-view-ubuntu-1110

Cheers,
Adrian