Re: Some impressions about the current status of Unity

On 25. feb. 2012 13:40, Adrian Maier wrote:
On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 00:04, Michael Hall<mhall119@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
The Dash is more like a search engine than a directory listing.  Think of it
like Google.  You don't go to Google for a list of websites by category.
In Windows7  (or possibly Vista)   they've added search in the Start
menu  .  It's very handy . But they didn't remove the possibility to
navigate the apps folders.

There is a possibility to browse by categories. I know that you know this. Perhaps you should explain why Windows' way of doing it is better?

What you want is a way to browse installed applications, not find specific
applications.  This isn't what the Dash is designed for.
This doesn't change the fact that Unity is currently missing a
"component for browsing the applications ".
It isn't missing. It works a little bit different than what you're used to, but it does exist.

The first step would be to see that the need for such a feature is at
least acknowledged.

Then you have to be more convincing. So far, you've claimed that it is required, but I don't think you've explained why. To me, it sounds as if you want to change the behavior because you're not used to it. But that's not something good design should be based on. Of course, it will always be possible to add something like that if you want it, but that doesn't mean it should be default for all users.

--
Jo-Erlend Schinstad