Re: Some impressions about the current status of Unity

On 02/25/2012 07:40 AM, Adrian Maier wrote:
On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 00:04, Michael Hall<mhall119@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
The Dash is more like a search engine than a directory listing.  Think of it
like Google.  You don't go to Google for a list of websites by category.

In Windows7  (or possibly Vista)   they've added search in the Start
menu  .  It's very handy . But they didn't remove the possibility to
navigate the apps folders.

Windows 7 is also restricted to locally-installed applications. It wouldn't work very well if it had to handle applications available for install, or online applications, or applications installed on removable media, or any number of other ways that a user might want to access their programs.

What you want is a way to browse installed applications, not find specific
applications.  This isn't what the Dash is designed for.

This doesn't change the fact that Unity is currently missing a
"component for browsing the applications ".

The first step would be to see that the need for such a feature is at
least acknowledged.

I will acknowledge that there is a desire, but I don't think there is necessarily a need. I agree that a search for "game" should show all games, and likewise with any other menu category.

Perhaps it would be better to discuss providing a different method of
browsing applications, rather than trying to change the nature of the Dash
to make it behave like something it isn't.

I did some more research , and it turns out that there are already
some unofficial solutions :
cardapio ,    clasicmenu-indicator ,    bliss .

Great, you can use one of those then. I still don't think we should make changes to the nature of the Dash to accommodate this.

Michael Hall
mhall119@xxxxxxxxxx