Is there a reason Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right/Up/Down was disabled?

Hi all,

Is there a reason Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right/Up/Down was disabled?

I realise that this combination has been switched over to the new
"Super+Shift+Left/Right/Up/Down" combination, but I don't understand
why the existing one was broken in the process.
The bug report requesting the change,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/891757, says the
following:
    "However where there is no conflict between the existing keyboard
shortcuts and the new shortcuts, the existing shortcuts should always
be preserved."

Given that the Ctrl+Alt+Arrow combination has been around for years
and it works in every other distro I've ever used. I don't see how the
Ctrl+Alt+Arrow combination could be a conflict for any other function.
It seems like a stupid change which will annoy a lot of people,
particularly for an LTS...

There is a bug report about it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/940085

It's also worth nothing, the new Super+Shift+Arrow combination is
broken for Super+Shift+Right for me:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/940803

Thanks,
~Stephen