Re: Category-based app browsing, was Re: Some impressions about the current status of Unity

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 03:12, Josh Strawbridge
<holyknightjoshua@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> --
>> Jo-Erlend Schinstad
>>

> i don't see how not being able to launch apps from the software center is a
> bug.  the dash is for launching what you've got the software center is for
> installing/removing.
>
> web apps are all well and good if you've got an internet connection or if
> they're downloaded and can be used when you don't have a connection but
> rarely use any web apps. i don't find them as enjoyable as my traditional
> applications.
> that said it's quite easy to make launchers for web apps you may wonder
> what's the point but it can make it that much easier to get to web based
> applications and it makes it feel more integrated into your system.
> it also enables people you let use your computer find the apps you use
> instead of them wondering where your programs are.
> chrome makes it very easy. you just go to the tools menu and click "create
> application shortcuts..." and it gives you the option of putting the
> launcher in your applications menu, on the desktop, or both.
> if you pick applications menu it shows up in the dash search.  for instance
> if you use chromium and install angry birds from the chrome web store you
> can make a launcher for angry birds but the launcher really just runs the
> command "chromium-browser --app=http://chrome.angrybirds.com/";
>
> your experience with the web and awesome bar is nice but you still have the
> ability to browse through your bookmarks just as well as you always have.
> browsing hasn't been phased out at all in that situation. it's just they've
> added an option to quickly get to what you know you want. which is what the
> dash search does.
> it still doesn't help you with just a look through your bookmarks which is
> what browsing is for.
>
> if you're anything like me, using the awesome bar for too long will cause
> you to have a lot of favorites you've forgotten about.
> some you may still want to keep, others you'll probably just get rid off.
> without some way of sorting those files while browsing through them
> eventually the number of items just becomes too messy to look through
> efficiently.
> browsing with categories helps this situation a lot. though i wouldn't want
> sub-categories with applications since that tends to over complicate things.
> when unity hit the browsing experience took a big hit and got more
> complicated than it should have.
>
> searching is a great way to find what you know you want. it's not a great
> way to simply look through what you've got.
> any public machine is going to need to be easily browsed and expecting
> people to open up a program to look through what we've got is ridiculous.
>
> i don't see how my
> suggestion https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-design/msg08197.html makes
> browsing any more or less dominant that it is now.

Perhaps the idea is to avoid make browsing too pleasant ,    for fear
that too many users would tend to prefer it instead of adapting to the
search approach   ?      :D

> the dash already looks like a way to browse things even if it is more
> pleasant to use the keyboard in it.

The layout suggested by Josh looks very nice .

Is it possible to write a new lens with the suggested layout  (without
changing anything in Unity) ?     I mean :   when writing a new lens
is it possible to fully control the visual representation ,   or only
provide the contents ?

--
Adrian