Re: "run command" in Dash

Please.

There is no need to make the "Run Command" dialog easier to access it
is sufficiently easy to access for people who use it. If a particular
user doesn't know the shortcut already, they don't need to use the
dialog. Having two separate areas for this functionality makes it very
clear that there is a distinction between commands and applications,
and keep new users from being exposed to advanced terminology before
they are ready.

The current Alt+F2 dialog is attractive, quick to bring up, and very
useful (Command history, auto-complete, etc). Integrating command
abilities into the dash removes this possibility. Keeping the existing
dialog is even worse; there is pointless redundancy and introduces
needless complexity into Unity's code for absolutely no advantage.

Consider this:

Alt + F2, then {command name} to run a command currently. Two
keystrokes, plus the command name.

Super, then "run", then Shift + ;, then the command name. Six
keystrokes, plus the command name

This change, in any form, is bad for power users and end users. It
would be a no-win change.

--
Ian Santopietro

"Eala Earendel enlga beorohtast