Re: Auto hide launcher won't reveal with a graphics tablet.

On 03/03/2012 05:34 PM, Josh Strawbridge wrote:
you can't push on the edges of the screen to reveal the launcher with
the stylus due to the left edge of the tracking surface being mapped to
the left edge of the screen so it's impossible to push past that.

Even without having to go that extra distance, triggering the Launcher is not exactly comfortable with the stylus.

What can be done about it?
* Ignore the issue and state that Unity is for mouse/keyboard use
* Expect tablet users to keep the Launcher on always-visible
* Expect tablet users to trigger the Launcher via shortcut instead
* Detect use of a stylus and change behavior
  * set Launcher to always visible
  * allow Launcher to be triggered on the edge, with no extra push
  * allow Launcher to be triggered in an area measuring a few pixels
    from the edge

Here I only thought about stylus on tablet, not finger on touchpad. I assume that lack of hovering in the finger case means that anything but always visible Launcher (or always visible trigger _area_) won't work.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/