Re: Fwd: Shortcut keys F1,F2,F3,F4 and overall

On 03/15/2012 01:18 PM, Neil Broadley wrote:
I don't have an answer for this, but I hate the idea that F3 and F4 would minimise and close without some kind of CTRL/ALT/Super modifier.

Can't think of anything more confusing for a user who's trying to rename their file, hit the wrong key and have the window completely vanish - either because it's minimised or closed. Similarly, someone wants to go full-screen, hits F12 by accident and boom! It looks like they've turned their laptop/PC off. I can hear the howls of anguish already.

I hit F1 by accident when renaming far too often already - I'd rather not have any more such grief in my life.

A thorough revamp of shortcuts is probably in order (I have to turn off screen overlay in Unity because it pops up when I use the zoom plug-in with Super-mousewheel up/down), but adding more arbitrary function key mappings doesn't sounds like a great idea to me.

Neil.

(Seriously ? After the disclaimer about F12 ?)
Probably valid points about the accidental clicks , but I stand by my point that the F keys should have functions attached . We should think about the potential accidental clicks , but these keys are manufactured away from the others with big numbered "F"-s on them for a reason .

I realize that F3 and F4 , are probably not the best solutions (for minimize , close) , more so that after some testing I still find myself clicking alt+F4,instead of F4 . But still I have to say - I've never clicked an F-key by accident (and I am as sloppy as the next guy ) .

Petko