Re: HUD activation key

Hi Gustav,

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Gustav Sony <sony-qs@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Again!
> How many apps are affected? I only heard about emacs, which is definitely a
> power-user tool!
> Wouldn't it be possible to make some exceptions for applications which rely
> on ALT as modifier? If one of these apps is on top ... HUD will be blocked
> or deactivated and has its normal function?

I think it was Conscious User who mentioned, in the other thread, that
Alt is a bad choice not only for emacs users, but also for when you
press Alt as a modifier to use with another key, but then decide that
you don't want to.  As soon as you let go of Alt the HUD appears and
you have to respond to the distraction.

I think it should be fine/possible for a user to choose Alt, if that's
what they want, but increasingly it seems to be a bad default choice.
The suggestion to use Super-Space is quite nice, since it fits in with
the trend of Unity using Super for it's keystrokes.  I don't know if
anyone uses it with Unity, but that could cause problems with GNOME Do
which uses Super-Space as it's activation key (it's been awhile since
I used it, but I think this is right).

Thanks,
J.