Re: HUD activation key

Hi,

I thought I'd through in my 2 cents on this matter. I like the idea of
using Super-something, and in particular Super-space for the HUD. I use
multiple keyboard layouts (for different languages) on my system, and so I
use Caps-lock to switch between them. I know a lot of people use the
Alt-Shift key combination to switch layouts (this currently doesn't
conflict with opening the HUD), and that some keyboard layouts use
Right-Alt (AltGr) key as a third level chooser for their layout.
Since these are all customizable in Ubuntu, it shouldn't prevent Ubuntu
from offering multiple options for the HUD shortcut, but it might be a good
idea to warn the user if they choose a conflicting shortcut keys for layout
switching and the HUD.

Another note is related to a recent email by Pedro Bessa, on queuing user
commands. It seems to me that a HUD shortcut that is based on tapping a
modifier can slow down the users, as the HUD would only play after the key
was released. In contrast, using a shortcut like Super-space, the HUD can
be displayed right after the space is pressed, and the user can go on
typing their search faster.
Of course, this is just my theory, and it might be the case that pressing
two keys is actually slower :)

Regards,
Haggai