Re: Is Unity 5.10 the reference implementation of Unity Specification 1.0?

Den 16. april 2012 23:31, skrev Roshan P Koshy:
Holistic approach to documentation is the right step forward. it is important to note that Ubuntu have started following design-based developemnt since 10.10, i think. With the right and correct, in other word consistent specification, Lubuntu and Ubuntu implementation of Unity are cross-compatible, though whatever the implementation might be. i.e., u install Lubuntu's Unity inside the Ubuntu, the form and usuablity factor will not change much.

Exactly. If your application uses Indicators, then you should expect that indicator to work in all valid implementations of Unity Specification 1.0. That means LXDE in Debian, for instance. By promoting the Unity Specification, I think we can attract more developers across the scene to develop for Unity, though their interests might lie elsewhere.

In a nutshell; let's not do it the MS OOXML way, referring to specific implementations in the specifications and library documentations. Sure, it works. And Unity is open source, so it's not directly comparable. It's still the wrong thing to do, and very unappealing to a big part of the developer community – we want to attract those.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad