Re: Authenticating lenses

Den 24. april 2012 16:28, skrev Alan Bell:
> On 24/04/12 14:57, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
>> I'll take the opportunity to remind everyone of the
>> http://lists.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-app-devel mailinglist. (I'm CCing it).
>> I don't think logging in and that type of stuff should be done in
>> lenses at all. I'd present the user with a normal dialog if there
>> isn't a valid OAuth token.
> what is normal? are you saying lenses should create a gtkwindow of
> their own to get credentials? What if you have lots of lenses? when
> should they ask the user to log in? On opening of the dash?
>
> I don't like the idea of a heap of different popups asking for
> credentials appearing on opening the dash or doing a search for the
> first time, I think lenses should wait until you open their page.

No, I think scopes should ask for authentication before you open the
lenses. Preferably, they should ask on install. That only works for one
user, though, so there needs to be a fallback. But I believe you have to
log out and back in for new scopes to be used in any case. That's when
it should appear in the message menu with an accompanying notification.

Some kind of unified solution is obviously required. But I'm not sure it
should be in the lenses. I'd personally prefer for them to be access
only, and as little as possible "work". There are so many other things
that, in isolation, could easily be seen as appropriate in lenses. But
then you get lots of that, and lenses become less useful and friendly.

Perhaps a "Dash and Net" item in the System Settings? This would
possibly allow you to change the order of lenses, choose which
applications should be used to handle online stuff, etc.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad