Re: unity-distilled list proposal

Hi,

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM, shane lee <shaneymail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think it is more about promoting constructive debate/discussion.
> Who decides what is constructive and how is another matter...

For decisions that have been made, and for which it is clear that
there's no going back, the debate is just noise no matter how
constructive it may seem on the surface.  For example, all the
discussion about bringing back dodge windows falls into this category.
The decision to drop it was made months ago, continuing to talk about
it is not constructive.

I understand where Mark is coming from about wanting a more focused
list, but I increasingly feel that a mailing list is the wrong tool
for design-related work.  I've noticed that a lot of people make small
suggestions, myself included, that end up being mostly noise because
they don't result in any action and there isn't enough follow through
to hone them into clear actionable work items.  The best input comes
from those folks who are able to take a step back, look at the
problem, and then come up with a *proposal* to improve the situation.
The good proposals involve nice mockups, a clear description of the
pros and cons, the goals, the non-goals, etc.

So I wonder if the real issue is that we need a set of guidelines for
proposals and then, a way to share proposals and have conversations
centered around polishing those proposals and moving them through the
steps from inception to delivery of a final working product.  In other
words, I think we probably need something closer to the process we
already use for code.

Thanks,
J.