Re: Desktop as a widget space.

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/29/2012 03:30 AM, Sunil Singh Rana wrote:
>
>  *Why not be make Desktop a widget space.* Widgets that are locked or
>>
>> unlocked (to manage them) by some key combination, or a dedicated mouse
>> gesture. We could also put a lens on Dash called Desktop which would
>> look like a desktop and will allow us to manage all our widgets.
>>

> How about asking "why?" before asking "why not?"

I agree. I guess for the same reason we display some information under the
glass sheet, as I mentioned earlier. It gives a sneak peek into the updated
information, without having to move my mouse and click somewhere.

*Does it appeal to the user? I think it is not very hard to find some data
from Google Play to check the number of installs of 'beautiful widgets' (
100,000 < installs < 500,000). Beautiful widgets are free to download. If
we go for HD widgets which costs some 2 dollar per install has the number
of installs in the same range. Data shows that widgets do appeal to the
user.*

In android widgets have been a huge success. In fact, widgets have given
android a lot of advantage against Iphone. I keep reading, widgets as often
requested feature by Iphone Users, in the upcoming version of iOS.

But anyway, regarding why not:
> - Users have to become aware of the widget functionality somehow
> (otherwise there can be no benefit, only cost)
> - It adds a potentially hard to understand distinction between windows of
> normal applications and widgets. After figuring out how to manage windows,
> users are expected to also figure out how to manage widgets?
> - Cost of yet another key combo and/or gesture
> - Widgets will need some visibility and stacking behavior that has to be
> specified, implemented, tested and documented. The desktop as it is now,
> with just the addition of widgets. would mean that any application window
> would always be above any widget ...

I get your point and agree that it poses risks.

> A lot of cost and risk. What are the potential benefits, the opportunity?

If I could, I would have the Google Plus, Agenda, Mail, Facebook, twitter,
weather widgets on my desktop.  Together, it has the potential to save
several clicks.

> What job is there for a "widget", that can't be fulfilled with an
> indicator or a small application (perhaps with a custom window appearance)?

Well, I roughly answered that. :)

I wouldn't like to go to KDE for the widgets only.