Re: Desktop as a widget space.

On 05/29/2012 03:30 AM, Sunil Singh Rana wrote:

*Why not be make Desktop a widget space.* Widgets that are locked or
unlocked (to manage them) by some key combination, or a dedicated mouse
gesture. We could also put a lens on Dash called Desktop which would
look like a desktop and will allow us to manage all our widgets.

How about asking "why?" before asking "why not?"

But anyway, regarding why not:
- Users have to become aware of the widget functionality somehow (otherwise there can be no benefit, only cost) - It adds a potentially hard to understand distinction between windows of normal applications and widgets. After figuring out how to manage windows, users are expected to also figure out how to manage widgets?
- Cost of yet another key combo and/or gesture
- Widgets will need some visibility and stacking behavior that has to be specified, implemented, tested and documented. The desktop as it is now, with just the addition of widgets. would mean that any application window would always be above any widget ...

A lot of cost and risk. What are the potential benefits, the opportunity?

What job is there for a "widget", that can't be fulfilled with an indicator or a small application (perhaps with a custom window appearance)?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/