Re: Desktop as a widget space.

Hi Christian and friends,

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Christian Giordano <
christian.giordano@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Sunil, as you said Desktop is a Directory. It gained value on PCs
> because it is a very accessible one. If you download files which you want
> to use straight away, it might be the easiest place to save them. This of
> course comes at a cost. Crowded Desktops are a nightmare for designers to
> watch, but as you can imagine: your order is everyone else's mess.

Yep, very rightly said.
I would like to add that  in Dash home we have recent downloads available
in a very accessible way. In fact, if you want to choose to save the file
to download, you have to look for the desktop and choose manually to save
it on Desktop. I don't know about others but personally I would like to
have my Desktop not so messy.

> Anyways, in systems where concepts like download and drag are relevant,
> the Desktop folder can still be very useful to not advanced users. In other
> systems, for instance mobile, that becomes definitely less important. What
> to do if these two systems should be merged, I am not sure. Maybe I would
> leave the option to the PC user to show widgets instead of files. I
> wouldn't be surprised if many users would rather see their messy files
> instead of more or less relevant widgets.

Why not Both. Let the Desktop be a directory leaving the possibility of
putting stuff there. Like I said. If we put a glass on the table and
display information under the glass it doesn't prevent us to put stuff
above the glass when we need that to work. Its just when we are done with
the work and stuff is taken off it shows our beautiful table showing us
some important stuff. I say lets try to imitate the real life situation.

I am just throwing an Idea. Off course, we need to think it through in a
rigorous manner to find a way to do it without adding too much
complications. If we agree we want to do something with the desktop, we can
move to the next step of coming up a excellent way to do it.

> Also, if you remove files in the Desktop maybe you don't need to have it
> in the first place and widgets could be overlayed like on MacOS (they would
> appear in a less disruptive way), leaving though the oddity of an empty
> wallpaper which you would see only on startup.

I agree. I am not sure if I got you completely here. But in Ubuntu we use
Dash access things leaving the desktop as not so used as it was used before
directory.

> To conclude, choosing where to put widgets is not easy, mainly because
> these can cover very different use cases. The main two being:
>
>    - glancing information (e.g.: news feed or world clock), this could be
>    on demand but also accidental
>    - provide quick support (e.g.: calculator or dictionary)
>
> Very true. Its a challenge that we can look forward to solve.

> Yahoo widgets, in facts, allow you to put them a bit everywhere you prefer.

I thank you very much for writing in such a clear and humble way.

Cheers :)

Sunil