Re: Worrying nautilus development direction, New default file manager?

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Jeremy Nickurak <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Brandon Watkins <bwat47@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Looks like this won't just be a problem with nautilus either, it looks
>> like the future development for all their apps is giving them interfaces
>> that are ONLY optimized for touch, and not giving a damn about
>> desktop/laptops:
>>
>> http://worldofgnome.org/the-futuristic-design-of-all-gnome-apps/
>

> What in here conflicts with desktop/laptop usage?

I actually have to work at my computer.

That should be enough of a comment, but I'll go on.

Steve Jobs asked, "why is the file system the face of the OS?" This
heralded the file system-free app-centric face of iOS. The answer is,
"Because that's what many different kinds of work have in common."

Jobs went on to say, ". . . the file system management is just gonna
be an app for pros and consumers aren't gonna need to use it." That's
pretty much the market for Linux right now: pros. It's also the market
for Mac OS X, which is winning because it has enough of the basics
right.

Mac OS X and Windows 8 both have modes of a sort (Mission Control,
Start screen) for mass-market, casual consumption. They have apps to
go with that. They retain Finder, Explorer, and other GUI tools for
getting work done. Linux is losing that layer, insofar as it had it.