Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:31:00 -0400
From: aviv007@xxxxxxxxx
To: unity-design@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Unity-design] Ubuntu 12.04 can't run on my computer

Hi everyone,

I was using Ubuntu 11.10 up untill recently. It worked fine. I decided to upgrade to 12.04 a couple of days ago. I used Update Manager. When it finished, my computer was not able to load the new Ubuntu. It was working very hard. The display froze. I could still move the mouse cursor, but the upper menu and launcher did not show up. I rebooted and tried a few more times. I kept getting the same result. So, I decided to use the CD installer. This time (after the intallation), I got a blank screen. The mouse cursor was visible and I could still use it, but the screen remained blank. Is my hardware too old for Ubuntu 12.04? Is my graphics card too old? I installed Fedora 17, and it's working fine.

To generate hardware information, I typed the following commands as root:

lshw > lshw
lspci -v > lspci

I attached the two files. To summarize, I have an Aspire T180, and my graphics card is nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 6100 nForce 405]. Thank you in advance for any help.

Aviv Yeshayav