Re: Worrying nautilus development direction, New default file manager?

On 12 July 2012 19:45, SorinN <nemes.sorin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> please explain mr. Curtis (you point against 90' UI's or pro) ?
>
> anyway today we live a crazy time when anyone want to change something
> ;) god / bad not important - but must be changed because ..yes we live
> crazzy times when the form beat the function.

Yes, I agree. You can't just point at a few UI glitches and demand a whole
new file manager to be written or something radically different to replace
the existing one. Thousands of users are adapted to Nautilus, and its
functionality is well-tested, complicated and hard to just invent all over.
It has lots of plugins, and many programs probably rely on its existence.

If anything, just propose a set of patches for Ubuntu, for instance one
that removes the breadcrumb name shortening (which I actually find pretty
useful compared to the old alternative where higher level breadcrumbs were
often missing because of lack of space).

And how can you say that Marlin looks promising? It's still not even in
0.1? :) They seem to be developing at a fine pace, however here's an
example of the type of bug fixing that it's still missing:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/marlin/+bug/914653

I fully support development of a better file manager, but do not replace
the existing one with something that's not yet matured.

/Ben