Re: Proposal: An alternate icon scheme for the Messaging Menu

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Sam Hewitt <hewittsamuel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm sort of redacting some things: accounting for folks with colour-vision
> deficiencies the circles aren't the best scheme.

Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness>:
*Color blindness *(red-green)* affects a significant percentage of the
population...

About 8 percent of males, but only 0.5 percent of females,
are color blind in some way or another...*

I thought about it and what it means to the messaging indicator (IM status).
Here are my points and why I think we should still go for it:

   - an envelope icon shape that doesn't change looks cleaner
   - most colour-vision deficiency people will still be able to see the
   blue notification
   - the current IM status in the menu is prefixed by a small dot and
   postfixed by text
   - IM has to be turned explicit on --> the user knows he's online

At the end colour-vision deficiency people can mostly do exactly the same
as not affected people. The only difference is, they have to check their IM
status inside the menu.

Maybe the 'System Settings'->'Universal Access' menu could be extended for
colour-vision deficiency people:

   - add a way to change the default signal colors to another one
   - ship with a second icon sets for affected people that replaces various
   icons e.g. the envelope by different shapes (triangle, circle...)