Readability, less colour, and more shadows

This whole cameleonic behaviour is not a bad thing, though the current
design went a bit too far with it. The initial purple hue of the dash is
really hard on the eyes for me, and the tinting of the dash really does
reduce readability with certain wallpapers. These two are the most
important ergonomic factors of a desktop environment. What should be
customized in my opinion, is the highlight colour of the operating system
(the colour which is around highlighted buttons, text etc. Currently the
highlight colour is fixed to the ubuntu orange.) . If the dash had no
tinting at all, readability could still be achieved with shadows under text
and icons, or good choice of colours. What do you think?

Thank you for your time Bálint Csonka.

Follow ups