Ubuntu and not quitting applications

So a loong time ago (well software time at least) when I was starting (for the second time) to use Ubuntu I read all about the revolutionary changes like the integrated menus and applications that don't quit but rather stay in the memory so they would open instantly when needed . I liked the second idea then and I like it now , but I don't see it implemented all that much . Rhythmbox has some similar behaviour ,but not with the same intent , as does Transmission (if it's configured so) . But the base applications - Nautilus , Firefox and lets say the Software center/System monitor , do not do this . As I now think of it,it has to be done app by app , because every app has it's own purpose and expected behaviour , but that push should be done at least for Nautilus and Firefox . It should be an option for the low-RAM systems to turn off preloading/not quitting for obvious reasons. I got a bit ahead of my self - I want to suggest if the above is implemented , to enable preloading on system startup (if the system is idle only) of those base apps , so when I turn on my computer and get back after a few mins to get stuff done - magic , everything opens instantly . It would be quite an excitement for the new users too.

Petko

Follow ups