Re: Serendipity in the dash

On 21/06/2013 14:29, Alan Bell wrote:
Trying out Saucy today I noticed the weather results in the dash. Hey awesome, it is going to be 32 degrees tomorrow! Um no, it is going to be 32 degrees in Termoli, Italy. That is because I was in progress of launching the terminal application when I noticed it. I tried again searching for "weather" which told me that it is going to be quite nice in Weatherford, USA. Finally I searched for London to find the cold and miserable result I was looking for.

So this is kind of a cool feature, but it is *never* going to accidentally and serendipitously show me the weather in somewhere I care about. I have to explicitly type in the name of somewhere nearish me that probably has a weather forecast - doing what makes sense to me and just typing weather does not show me weather where I am.

Regarding this specific scope, there are some changes coming that will allow to type "weather:" or to enable it via its filter, without a query, and get local weather. You can already try this kind of results surfacing if you enable Notes, Boxes and News category filters (the same way Applications and Files & Folders bring recent files and apps).

David

I know the smart scopes plan is supposed to improve this kind of thing, but in general I think lenses should be less eager to show results on the dash home page that just can't be relevant to any random thing I type (which is rarely anything outside the array ["term", "firef", "chro", "ecli"])

Alan