Re: [Ayatana-dev] Controlling the order of indicators

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 20:49 -0500, Ramón Rocha wrote:
> I asked this question ( http://is.gd/g2wlC ) on askubuntu.com and was
> told to ask in #ayatana on freenode.  I hope asking on this mailing
> list instead is appropriate.  I'll repeat the text of my question
> here...
>
> "I've created a simple indicator in python using the appindicator
> module. However, it always shows up to the left of the existing
> indicators. Is there some way to control what position the indicators
> appears in?
>
> For example, it currently displays like so...
>
> my indicator, volume indicator, messaging indicator
>
> but I want...
>
> volume indicator, messaging indicator, my indicator"
>
> The answer I received was that I would need a modified host applet to
> do that.  Can someone provide me with some more information on where
> to start?  Thanks.

We allow the application indicators to move themselves within the
application indicator area, but we don't allow them to move themselves
into the system indicator area.  So if you had this:

  [yours gtg tomboy] sound messaging

You could change it to:

  [gtg tomboy yours] sound messaging

But you won't be able to move your indicator outside of the brackets.

		--Ted