Re: [Ayatana-dev] Searching for applications, keywords and synonyms

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
<mikkel.kamstrup@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think this is a nice idea. The metadata for applications is definitely
> a scarce resource and anything more rich would help the users a lot.

Thanks, Mikkel :)

> To kick it off I think it could be a good idea to simply Just Do It and
> write  down an exhaustive list of keywords for the categories in
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html#category-registry. Given that I can easily hack it into unity-place-applications at least as a proof of concept to begin with. And we can see how it works in practice.

Oh, right! I actually did that first for once, then I forgot to link
to it. Here's a quick table. It isn't tremendously useful, but going
through it was helpful to get a feel for what we have to work with:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~dylanmccall/categorykeywords/CategoryKeywords.html
This isn't taking into account overlaps between categories, or related
categories (where applications using additional categories sometimes
have to use specific main categories), but being able to work out
those kinks over time is pretty well the point.

Here is that in a slightly more useful format:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~dylanmccall/categorykeywords/CategoryKeywords.ini
http://people.ubuntu.com/~dylanmccall/categorykeywords/CategoryKeywords.pot
I'm using ini there because translate-toolkit has ini2po, which
generates a decent looking pot file.
If necessary, maybe a script could turn it into something Unity likes.
Are there any particular preferences?

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> MPT is worth talking to, as he will have good thoughts about how we can
> get a rich base of textual data for the search. Anything in the Dash
> applies pretty much directly to Ubuntu Software Centre too :-) so it's
> worth chatting to MPT and the developers of USC.

Good idea. Thank you, Mark!

Dylan