Re: [Ayatana-dev] Read and control Ayatana elements

On 10/02/11 13:46, Philipp Gassmann wrote:
> I'm going to work on a Android App that allows to remote control a
> Ubuntu PC over wifi. It would be nice, if we could read and control the
> Ayatana features like the Sound menu or the just announced Unity
> Launcher API. Is it somehow possible to access those elements? The
> SoundMenu works over dbus/MPris2 so we can access the functions there as
> well. But are those Quicklists, count and progress of Unity Launcher
> accessible?
>
> The Android Remote App project has just started, and we have yet to read
> into how Dbus etc. works. We are learning programming at professional
> school, so we're basically new to everything. But we chose this project,
> so that we're getting to know ubuntu a bit better.
> thank you!

This sounds both interesting and achievable. You'd need a proxy of some
sort, running in the desktop session, then you could talk to that from
Adroid, and it could drive the various Unity interface elements. Yes,
pretty much all of them are available over dbus.

Mark