Re: Looking for ways to make Ubuntu Unity work better with VMware Unity

On 08/02/12 04:31, sam.spilsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Tue, 7 Feb 2012, Ted Gould wrote:

On Tue, 2012-02-07 at 15:04 -0500, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
First, Ubuntu Unity removes application menus and displays them as
part of the top panel bar. Since we need to not show the top panel bar
when we enter VMware Unity mode to give an integrated experience,
Ubuntu Unity users are unable to access application menus when they're
in VMware Unity mode.

This one is easy because you can set the UBUNTU_APPMENU environment
variable to NULL and that'll disable menu exporting.

Can this happen dynamically?

These are all important usecases though. To be honest, I'd say that it would make sense to have an environment variable or gsettings key to hide the "shell" when running in some kind of integrated mode, though thats not really my call to make. Unloading and loading plugins is certainly one way to go, but the unity plugin is quite big, so dlopen takes a second or two to resolve the symbols.

Gsettings seems more dynamic than an env var. Seems like this needs to be flipped on and off. Not a use case for us for 12.04 LTS, but we would take patches.

Mark